Back by popular demand is the Bee Block Swap! Starting in January 2017, this swap program will take place three times. Here are the details:
– Each Bee Hive consists of no more than 6 quilters.
– There will be as many hives as needed to accommodate those who would like to participate.
– Stella will be the “Queen Bee” for all hives – if you have any questions, concerns, or issues, please contact her before the quarter ends.
– This year we have added Hive “types.” You’ll have the option to choose Paper Pieced, Star, or Sampler.
– Paper Pieced Hive – choose a 12.5×12.5 paper pieced block
– Star Hive – choose any 12.5×12.5 star block
– Sampler – choose any block type (for example quatrefoil, granny square, wonky log cabin, etc.) These can be traditional block patterns, but please use modern fabrics!
– You’ll have 3 months to make a quilt block for each quilter in your hive (+ 1 for yourself if you choose).
It is important that you make your blocks following these guidelines so they will be usable when piecing a quilt.
– Select a quilt block that is within your skill level.
– Use fresh, modern, new, quilt shop quality fabric for your blocks.
– Everyone uses their own fabric stash to create the blocks and no one can request certain fabrics or designers.
– Take the time and effort to construct your blocks well and use a ¼ inch seam allowance (unless your pattern dictates otherwise). Anything less will likely fall apart. Blocks that are too large or too small, even by a 1/4″ are sometimes not usable. You may choose to make a test block in your own color selection before constructing the blocks for your hive to ensure that the block will size correctly. A simple block well-constructed is always better received than a complicated block that is falling apart from poor construction.
– The block should measure 12.5 inches square when complete.
– Please only use neutral colored thread.
– You’ll make FIVE of that same square in each of your hive members’ chosen color palettes (Six if you want one for yourself)
Here is a set of Granny Square Quilt Blocks that were made for a past hive:
– The first quarter in 2017 will run from January – March.
– Sign-ups close on December 31st
– Once sign ups close, you’ll receive the names of the quilters in your hive as well as their color palettes and any additional information by January 8th.
– Finished squares for this quarter can be distributed early but are due at the March 16th guild meeting.
At this time, you are only committing to 1 quarter – sign-ups for future quarters will happen as the current quarter ends.
– The following quarters will run from April – July and Aug – Nov. You do not have to participate in all quarters to play along. Sign-ups for the next quarters will happen later in the year – watch this space for the announcement.
– Plan ahead! The quarter goes by very quickly. Please don’t wait until the last minute to start your blocks. This is a commitment and by signing up we expect you to follow through with that commitment. Sometimes things happen, so if you have an unforeseen emergency, please contact Stella ASAP!
No matter how many quarters you participate in, you should have the beginnings of an amazing sampler quilt like these two:
Ok, that’s great, but how do I sign up?? Easy! Click here to register.
Be sure to designate what your first and second hive preference is. We will do our best to accommodate all requests but reserve the right to place you in a hive that has space instead of starting a new, smaller hive. You will be contacted if this is the case.
Last day for sign-ups is December 31st. Hives will be emailed by January 8th. Hope you’ll join us!