Hey all!! First off- can we say-we are 82 members strong!? How awesome is that? So exciting!
Here are a few reminders/upcoming events to keep in mind:
- The Modern Quilt Guild is doing a Block of the Month challenge and you could be the next designer! Click the link for more info.
- There’s going to be a 9 Patch Design challenge for QuiltCon (deadline is Nov 30th)
- Our QuiltCon charity quilt idea is celebrating the wide range of ages of our members. We will work on these blocks at the open sew on Sept. 17th. Here is the survey we need members to fill out by
Tuesday, August 16thSaturday, August 20th.
- Don’t forget about making/filling and donating a Backpack for the August meeting! The ages of the kids are between K-5th grade.
- In October Amy butler will be signing her latest book at Rock Paper Scissors !
- The Warwick Valley Quilter’s Guild is hosting their Stars of the Valley Quilt Show on October 15 & 16, 2016. The deadline to enter the show is September 1st. Click here for more information.
Some awesome swaps are headed your way! Here’s a list of the upcoming swaps:
- DC Swap zipper pouches
- Elfster Swap
- Bee Block Swap (2017)
Here are some tips/tricks and questions from members that were also shared. Q & As
Q: do you iron your seams open? to one side? what is the proper method?
- half square triangles press open & switch stitch length down
- iron front of the fabric, open fabric op perpendicular & put iron in the seam and press away
- Tailor’s clapper (wooden block) leaves a crisp seam
Q: how do you get gunk off the iron?
- Use a used/new dryer sheet when the iron is hot.
- “Goo Gone” an oil based cleaner when iron is cold.
- “Iron Off” cleaner
- Use white vinegar on a Q-tip when iron is hot
- Use Distilled water
Show & Tell time!
See you all August 18th!