Our October 2016 OPEN SEW is tomorrow, Saturday, October 22, 2016 from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. at the Community Church of Cedar Grove, 65 Bowden Street, Cedar Grove, NJ (where we meet for our monthly guild meetings).
We have SIX hours of sewing scheduled! Can’t make it for the entire time? Come when you can!
** We are working on our QuiltCon charity quilt.
A main section of the quilt is foundation paper-pieced. There are other areas of the quilt that do not require paper-piecing.
Please bring an extension cord and/or power strip, neutral thread (light gray or cream), task light, paper piecing tools (“Add-A-Quarter” ruler, scissors for paper, etc).
• Pack your lunch and please bring a snack or drinks to share if you can.
• We need a couple of members to bring in an iron/ironing mat/board to share. Please comment below if you can share an “ironing set up.”
*** Reminders/upcoming events to keep in mind:
- We are starting a new workshop series within our guild, with our super talented members leading the classes! Starting us off will be Diane Fama, teaching Hawaiian Appliqué ! There’s only ONE SPOT LEFT in her class!! Snag it while you still can!!
- Our next Open Sew is Oct 22nd 10-4PM.
- Don’t forget to bring your zippy pouch to the next meeting!!🙂 (October 20th)
- Check out our next field trip hosted by the lovely Stella on October 8th. A little shopping-or window shopping😉 and a movie.
- There is a Michael Miller fabric challenge ! click the link for more details (deadline for entries is Nov 30th)
- The Modern Quilt Guild is doing a Block of the Month challenge and YOU could be the next designer!
- There is a 9 Patch Design Challenge for QuiltCon (deadline is Nov 30th)
- Call for instructors/lecturers for QuiltCon 2017
- October 15th, Amy Butler will be signing her latest book at Rock Paper Scissors !
- The Warwick Valley Quilter’s Guild is hosting their Stars of the Valley Quilt Show on October 15 & 16, 2016.
- If you don’t already, you should follow us on instagram “@njmqg.” we are always posting WIPS, quiltspiration, and other fun stuff including NJMQG InstaIntros to introduce our own board and our members members.
Betsy’s Trunk show!
Show & Tell!
See you all October 20th!!
Let’s go to the movies!
Based on the best-selling novel by Rosalie Ham, this bittersweet, comedy-drama is set in early 1950s Australia. Tilly Dunnage, a beautiful and talented misfit, after many years working as a dressmaker in exclusive Parisian fashion houses, returns home to the tiny middle-of-nowhere town of Dungatar to right the wrongs of the past. Not only does she reconcile with her ailing, eccentric mother Molly and unexpectedly falls in love with the pure-hearted Teddy, but armed with her sewing machine and incredible sense of style, she transforms the women of the town and in so doing gets sweet revenge on those who did her wrong.
Let’s go see The Dressmaker! We’ll attend the 3:40pm showing at Bowtie Cinemas in Montclair. Prior to the movie, we’ll pop by Rock Paper Scissors for some retail therapy. Here are all the details:
What: NJMQG Field Trip!
When: Saturday, October 8th
Time: 2pm meet at Rock Paper Scissors for shopping – The Dressmaker movie starts at 3:40pm — meet us for shopping or the movie, or both!
Cost: $12 Adults / $9.25 Seniors
The movie is rated R – to pre-purchase tickets, click here
Your host: Stella Singleton
Mark your calendars for the October Open Sew!
We will be working on our QuiltCon Charity Quilt!
WHEN: Saturday, October 22, 2016 from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.
**Please note: We have extended the time for this Open Sew**
Can’t make it for the entire time? Come when you can.
WHERE: Community Church of Cedar Grove, 65 Bowden Street, Cedar Grove, NJ
More details to follow!
Here are some announcements/reminders:
• September OPEN SEW:
When: This Saturday, September 17, 2016 from 10am – 2pm
Where: Community Church of Cedar Grove, 65 Bowden Road, Cedar Grove, NJ
• November Cross Roads Retreat:
When: Wednesday, November 9th – Sunday, November 13th
Where: Cross Roads Retreat Center, 29 Pleasant Grove Road, Port Murray, NJ 07865
Click here for more info. Diane F. will also be at the meeting Thursday night to answer any questions.
• The Modern Quilt Guild Calls for Submissions:
The MQG has many opportunities going on right now! They are writing a book and asking for submissions, looking for Quilt of the Month designers, Block of the Month designers, QuiltCon Magazine submissions, Michael Miller Challenge entries, Nine-Patch Challenge entries, QuiltCon Entries, Faculty for MQG Webinars, QuiltCon 2018 Teachers and Lecturers. Click here for more information and deadlines.