We had a lovely tea party at our meeting last month. Thanks to Terri and Barbara for setting it up. (And another special thanks for all your work on the holiday party) And to Margy for your water pots. We had 46 members and 2 guests join us for the meeting. Welcome to Kate, April, Carmen and Raquel (forgive any mispellings).
We started out with some updates from members about what they’ve been doing or what’s coming up.
Some fabulous classes being taken:
- Margy and Jackie took Melanie’s Thumbprint curves
- Betsy and Michelle took Libs Elliot’s Embrace the Chaos
- Penny took Susan Carlson’s 5 day workshop in Tuscon
- Robyn, Lori and Fern took Lauren Pinkley’s collage method
- Sarah took Maria Shell’s Making Stripes planned improv in Craft Napa
- April took a class with Leslie Jenesen
- National Quilt day was celebrated. We had 8 at Margy’s and 9 at Jackie’s house sewing away.
- We also had our Charity Sew-in.
- Empire Quilt show at FIT 3/23&24
- Lancaster AQS show 3/27-30
- MAM’s fiber exhibit is still out through June 19
- Brooklyn Museum has Frida Kahlo through May 12
- Montclair Uni George Segal gallery had a book art exhibit by BAR
- Member led classes– Rulers with Betsy and Upcycling apron with Kathy
- Kimberli is at Bloomfield Library every 1st & 3rd Thursday from 12-2 doing handwork (and every 2nd monday from 6-8)
- Gotham NYC holds Quiltlab the 2nd Thursday of the month
We are always interested in what techniques you want to learn or who you’d like to have teach. Two suggestions, Yvonne Puchs (quiltingjetgirl) an Lee Chappel Monroe. Let us know if you have any other ideas!
We got sent membership cards from the MQG. If you haven’t gotten yours, pick it up at the sign in table at the next meeting (which will be meeting at the LDS church in Caldwell, I’ll mention it again later…)
Quiltcon happened and we got a lovely slideshow of pictures from some members. Unfortunately seems like the weather wasn’t the greatest, but looks like plenty of fun, and more importantly, beautiful and inspiring quilts, was had! If you’d like to see more of the quilts, someone suggested the Eventscribe App for Quiltcon. If you check out under posters you can see more. We also had a couple of members mention the Modern Sewciety podcast to check out.
Our charity gals, Rachel and Emily, are getting us all excited to sew. Some new Shoreline kits have been put together and we had our block drive (I didn’t seem to jot the total number down, but you did not disappoint!)
The clear leader was Kelly, with 67!!,
and Elaine was next with 22.
Way to go! Don’t forget to keep sewing up pillowcases, blocks, kits or anything your heart desires for charity to lovingly donate to those in need.
Our programs ladies are always hard at work. Crista and Jackie have got a Mystery quilt starting soon, and a good looking schedule through the rest of the year. At the April meeting we will be doing an April Fool exchange. Bring in an “ugly” FQ to be magically transformed.
And then it brings us to our favorite time…
Show and Tell
Rachel- Improv SherriLynn Woods
Japanese rice pouch
Emily- quilt for boyfriend
Rochelle- EPP handpieced and quilted
Jennifer- Moda scraps offset Lonestar
Sarah- Why Not Now
Jackie- Rayna’s improv
Debbie- Barn “quilt”
Mary Jane- jeans
Betsy- Blue and white pineapple
Rebecca- Fabric manipulation
Julia- My grandmother’s flower garden
Elaine- little girl
And Pam and Michelle showed up some not photgraphed. (Make sure to let me know if you don’t want the pictures put online)
The April meeting will be at our alternate space due to our space being unavailable.
The meeting will be April 18, 7:15 at The Church of Latter-Day Saints 209 Mountain Ave, Caldwell, NJ 07006.
See you then.
Ciao for niao 😆