The weather has begun to cool and fall has been ushered in. Our September meeting saw 48 participants online, where we welcomed new member Christina Ku.
MQG Updates – We recognized our own Samantha Linehan as her quilt was featured in issue 03 of Modern Monthly, from the MQG.
They have a call out to make one of their classic patterns in their specific 2020 color palette. To learn more, log onto themodernquiltguild.com
Other MQG News
- MQG is accepting applications for the MGQ Board of Directors
- You can watch/ listen to a free textile talk every Wednesday afternoon.
- Modern Monthly is looking for design submissions for Quilt of the Month for 2021. Deadline is November 1st.
- Submission deadline is November 30th.
- Mini Swap – October 2020 to February 2021, we’re holding our 5th international MQG swap, and all active MQG members are invited to participate! Spots are limited according to the number of volunteer helpers we have, but we’re accommodating as many people as possible! Once again, we’re making mini quilts — no larger than 24″ x 24″.
For details on both of these challenges, go to themodernquiltguild.com
Community Quilt Challenge
Our coordinator Margy spoke to us on the progress of the our community quilt we will be submitting. Kits were made and mailed to those who signed up to participate. The completed blocks need to be mailed back to Margy by Tuesday, October 13th.
We were finally able to donate some of our charity quilts. We sent 15 quilts to S.O.F.I.A. (Start Out Fresh Intervention Advocates). We also gave quilts to Giving Hope Network for their Stuffed Suitcase program.
To assist in our charity efforts, Sue Erdreich provided us with a demo on making a burrito pillow.
You can use your basic skills to make this easy project for donation.
- Sarah Trail from Social Justice Sewing Academy will be speaking to us at our October meeting. There will be a $5 donation for non-members, going directly to SJSA.
- You can learn more about Clara Nartey, our August guest lecturer in her book “Drawn with Threads”. Available on Amazon.
- Reminder: Pappersaxten’s Workshop video replay is available for 60 days before it expires. Make sure to review it, if you need assistance finishing your workshop piece.
Above are completed projects from the August workshop.
We are happy to announce the October workshop with Jenny Haynes is full!
Opportunities to participate:
- Mini Quilt Challenge – “A Quilted Interpretation of 2020″ due at our December meeting, measuring 24” square or less.
- Elfster Swap – Details and sign-ups coming soon.
We had two entries for September’s UFO challenge and the winner was Elaine and she received a neutral fat quarter bundle.
Next month the UFO is #7 and the prize is a gift certificate to Sew Jersey.
Show & Tell
See you in October, Thursday 10/15 @ 7:15pm!
Jennifer – Secretary