Welcome Fall and Welcome back
to our regular meeting place in Cedar Grove! This month 47 members and 2 guests (one of whom has joined!) were in attendance.
We need YOU to help run OUR guild
- Hospitality could use a couple more volunteers to help orient visitors and new people to the guild, and to help with the occasional party.
- Nominating committee really just works in the early spring, but will need some help then.
- Fundraising we would love if someone, or better yet a few someones would step up to come up with fundraising ideas and then help make them happen. This would help keep costs down for workshops, visiting instructors, etc
- Charity Rachel and Emily are committed to this work, but could use some help to make it happen.
:: Contact president[at]njmqg.com to become a committee member. ::
How we spent our summer vacations –
There was travel, classes in Maine and at Gotham quilts in NYC, and of course the Sashiko class we sponsored at Sew Jersey, earlier in September. These two half day classes were fully enrolled, and greatly enjoyed by all.
September was Textile Month in NYC, and there were numerous pertinent museum exhibits, at the Met, MOMA, and the Museum of Art and Design; also the Piecework Collective exhibition the weekend after the meeting only.
Mancuso’s NJ Quiltfest will not be happening this year. They’ve apparently decided to have a show in Lancaster PA in May, instead. Seems like a loss for NJ, especially here in the northern part of the state.
MidAtlantic Mod quilting retreat however, is returning in 2019. We’re invited to be sponsors again. In return we would be guaranteed spots for 10 of our members.
A positive change, is that instructors would not get first dibs on registration. Seems like a good number of our members would like the chance to go, and would be willing to pay a share of the sponsorship fee to do so. Most seemed in favor of having a lottery within the guild to award the 10 places, before registration opens in early November.
Registration is $175, and then you would have the cost of lodging, meals, etc.
See midatlanticmod.blogspot.com for complete info.
QuiltCon charity quilt chairs, Ameri and Amy reviewed the requirements and the plan for our contribution, and handed out the rest of the kits for blocks.
All blocks are due at the October 18th meeting. In the meantime, there will be a couple of work sessions for people who want a bit of guidance for the required improv tiny piecing. We have volunteers for all the work to be done by the January 2019 Guild meeting so the quilt can be shipped in early February.
Holiday Party –
Those present voted, by show of hands, to opt for a new gift exchange at the holiday party. Instead of an Elfster gift exchange this year, we’ll each make a shopping tote and do a blind swap during the party, leaving more time for socializing, and show and tell. More details to come this fall. All agreed to have the main course catered again and bring in our own desserts.
Programs Update –
- Jackie and Crista reminded us to sign up for Rayna Gilman’s Improv Quilting classes October 5 and 6.
- Jackie Laba will teach Beginning Free Motion Quilting on November 3. Sign up here.
- Embellish-Me Swaps were distributed among those participating. Have fun adding your stitchy flair! Remember to bring your embellished item to the October meeting to exchange with your swap-mate!
- Last of the year Bee Hive blocks were exchanged.
- Book Reports: After the break, we had 30 second book reports (some went longer!). Quite a few of us had books to show, and shared a feature that made the book enjoyable or informative.
- Psst! Sneak peak at 2019 – Melanie Tuazon’s Walking Foot Quilting class in January, and in March, Diane Fama will teach a ruler workshop. Stay tuned for more details!
Last but not least, of course, was…Show and Tell!
Emily’s Beach quilt
Sarah’s “She Let Herself Go”
Dawn’s Little Foxes
Diane’s Scrap Crazy
Carol’s beaded applique
Mary’s Mille Fiori (quitled by Diane Fama)
back of Tracy’s Scrappy quilt
Tracy’s picnic quilt
Anne’s Sheep baby quilt
Anne’s Mystery Quilt
Josie’s charity quilt top
Rachel’s fab bag
Rachel’s Wonky Cross
Debby’s birthday quilt (for a neutral home!)
Betsy’s lobster printed in Aleeda’s silk screen class
JoAnn’s Pinwheels in Kathy Doughty prints
Krishma’s Sampler (pieced by Joann’s friend, quilted by Krishma)
Ameri’s Multicolored Solids
See you in October!