Have you figured out which quilt(s) you are submitting to be chosen to hang at Quilt Fest in our special exhibit: Modern Quilts: North Jersey Modern Quilt Guild yet?
Quilt Fest Dates: March 2-5, 2017
Location: Garden State Exhibit Center, 50 Atrium Drive, Somerset, NJ 08873
• A committee will review entries to curate the show. Please keep in mind this is an exhibit that should showcase your best modern quilt work. This is an exhibit that is included in the show, in part, to raise awareness about the modern quilt movement.
• Here is an excerpt of the blurb we submitted for the brochure and for the website about our exhibit:
“Modern quilts are primarily functional and inspired by modern design. Modern quilters work in different styles and define modern quilting in different ways, but several characteristics often appear which help identify a modern quilt. These include, but are not limited to: the use of bold colors and prints, high contrast and graphic areas of solid color, improvisational piecing, minimalism, expansive negative space, and alternate grid work. “Modern traditionalism” or the updating of classic quilt designs is also often represented.”
• We encourage submitting mini quilts and multiple quilts!
• To be considered, please click here to fill out the form. The form will ask for the following info:
– Maker’s name
– Email and phone number
• After submitting the form please email 1-2 photos of your quilt to njmqginfo at gmail dot com. Please name the file with your last name and name of the quilt. Example: “Surname_Quiltname.jpg”.
• Please submit by
Monday, December 19th Edited to add: Deadline extended! Submit by Wednesday, January 4th!
:: Other Details ::
– The exhibit must be shipped as a group in as few boxes as possible or delivered to the Convention Center as a group by a maximum of 4 people. We can arrive any time during the afternoon of Wednesday, March 1. The quilt show will close on Sunday, March 5 at 5pm. We will coordinate drop-off and take-down at a later date.
• Wondering if your quilt(s) is “modern enough”? Submit anyway! There are many areas/categories that modern quilts fall into and we will do our best to showcase a breadth of work that represents modern quilting.
• Do you have a quilt top/top in progress that you know will be complete in time to be hung in the show? Submit it!